The University of Ghana Basic Schools launched its maiden Literacy Week Celebration from November 17-21, 2014 at the School premises on November 17, 2014.
CAN YOU READ?
The Four Goals for the Celebration are:
- To help those pupils who are not able to mention words properly.
- To assist the pupils to be able to comprehend what they read.
- To enable the pupils acquire information, learn from good examples, expose wrongs doings for them to desist from those acts. All to broaden the pupils critical thinking abilities.
- To inculcate in the pupils the desire to look for information to read.
The Reading List
Selected book were given to all classes to read. The pupils were assessed at the end of the week. Books selected were authored by African writers who used unique style of element of dramer. The books are as follows:
- Class 1 Kesewa the Caterpillar by Nikkie Watson
- Class 2 Grandma and other stories by Zenobia Beecham
- Class 3 Tatale by Yaw Mossi
- Class 4 Uncle Blanko's Chair by Bill Marshall
- Class 5 David and His Friends by Rev. E. K. Mensah
- Class 6 Serwa, the Saga of an African Princess by Rita A. Coker
- JHS 1Oko and the Dancing Baboon by G. D. Lutterodt
- JHS 2 Lami's Nightmare by Kweku Osei-Bonsu
- JHS 3 The lost Royal Treasure by Ruby Y. Goka.
Miss Audrey Obuobisa-Darko, a writer of two books Wahale Dey and the Magic Basket with her family presented 100 copies of her second book, Wahala Dey to the School. The Lion's Club Legon branch made a donation of books to the School
|from left; A teacher, Audrey, Mr. Allotey (headmaster), The Asst. Headmistress(JHS), Audrey's Mother|